Personality Of The Week: Jojo's Touch Talks About Her Brand and How It All Started!

CandyCity: Please introduce yourself

Jojo's Touch: My name is Joan Banna. I'm from Imo state, Nigeria. A graduate Chemical Engineer of the University of Port Harcourt, and the Head makeup artist at Jojo's Touch. 
CandyCity: Tell us about your makeup background?


Jojo's Touch: I've always had interest in makeup right from high school, but of course I wasn't allowed to, so I started applying makeup after high school, I'd bath and just start trying out different kinds of makeup. I gained more grounds in 2009 when I made my sister Uchechi up for her wedding, and all her brides maids. But officially, I started in 2012 when I registered the business, with the help of my sister Nichole Banna, i bought some makeup products that i started with, took some good friends to model for my makeup for fliers.

CandyCity: Tell us about your brand name and how it all started

Jojo's Touch: Before we did the makeup and photo shoot, I and my cousin Queen where trying out different names but it didn't agree with me, then I sought the help of the Holy spirit, and what I saw was my hand on someone's face. But couldn't make a name out of it, then I drew a "hand" holding a "powder brush". As I'm fondly called Jojo, the name "Jojo's Touch"  was born.

CandyCity: How did your career in makeup begin?

Jojo's Touch: Building a career in makeup wasn't easy. I didn't acquire any training from any where, i know all i know today literally by the help of the Holy Spirit. As a final year student, I had to juggle between school and meeting up appointment with clients far away from school. Had my own share of disappointments too, having had 3 clients to makeup for an event but was able to meet up with just one because of the terrible traffic, even had a dress made by Vera all the way from warri then for a wedding that I was assured I was going to make the bride up, only to be disappointed 2 days to the event. I was at the brim of giving up but thank God I didn't, I had good friends, Chioma and Nneka that did an intervention on me and encouraged me never to give up.
CandyCity: As a makeup artist, which celebrity have you worked with?

Jojo's Touch: I've worked on a few celebrities. The likes of Nollywood actresses , Nichole Banna, (who happens to be my beloved sister),  Lizzy Gold, Uchenna Nnanna. Also made up Dillish Mattews, winner of Big Brother Africa. Mercy Johnson Okojie for her child dedication. And a few others not so popularly known.     
CandyCity: Which area of makeup are you known for?

Jojo's Touch: The area of makeup I'm known for would be the bridal and Engagement makeup, generally events makeover,  then our makeup school is also well known as we graduate good artists every few months.
CandyCity: How far has your job gone?

Jojo's Touch: Well I can't really tell because I'm just getting started :D . But by the grace of God, ive have great admirers of my work from Ghana, Kenya, Namibia, UK, USA, Canada and so on, these are the few that have reached out. With God by my side, the whole earth will know the name.

CandyCity: Have you ever dissatisfied your client , if yes how did you make up for it?

Jojo's Touch: Yea I have. That is inevitable, I try my best to do my best, to interpret other makeup looks clients may want, even if they are not the "Norm" but you can't really downgrade if you are already using an upgraded version. Most times clients are not satisfied at the beginning of the makeup but sing and dance when the makeup is done, The dissatisfied client I've had that still didn't like the look even after every other person loved and appreciated it was a bride, an elder sister to a good client and friend of mine, she gave me a really tough time that I almost doubted myself, but came few days after to apologise, and accept the makeup was good. Aside that, I haven't had any direct dissatisfied client.   

CandyCity: What is your most challenging experience as a makeup artist?

Jojo's Touch: It's having to meet up the growing demand for my services. And I'm doing all I can. 

CandyCity:  Who is your role model and why?

Jojo's Touch: My role model when I started was Banke Meshida Lawal, but as time passed by, it changed to Jide of st Ola, at the moment, I wouldn't say I have any role model, I admire different works of great artist and I try to better mine

CandyCity: What are some of your favorite products in your makeup kit? 

Jojo's Touch: Some products I cannot do without are my mac lipsticks, my mac brow pencils, my dinair airbrush machine, my Ben nye powders, my makeup forever HD foundations. Etc.

CandyCity: Charity Work

Jojo's Touch:  Early 2013, my sister Nichole Banna and I organised a little visit to an orphanage home in elelenwo, it was such wonderful thing to do as we saw the smiles in the faces of the children, after which they prayed for us. After then, I planned to take a personal trip to the orphanage home again, I was given the contact of a lady that braids hair so I went to her house to make my hair, before my hair was done, I had seen how this pregnant lady endured to make my hair, and her 4 lil kids crying and holding her leg out of hunger, the eldest one about 12 yrs of age had just returned from school, and immediately came to join in the hair making, on an empty stomach, the woman had shouted at the children to exercise patience a little longer, since they already had one piece of yam each as breakfast, that I had to pay my bill for them to see money to cook what they would have for dinner. I was filled with compassion and I sent for snacks for the children, of course it wasn't enough so I still sent for 2 "hungry man size' Indomie packets, after noticing that their father that is a tailor inside the house refused to prepare the Indomie for the kids, so that they would have something to eat the next day, I had to come back to do the charity work on that family, leaving out the orphanage home as I know other people frequently go there.
  
CandyCity: What message do you have for young ladies and guys who want to build a career in makeup?

Jojo's Touch: Go into this business for the right reasons, you must have passion first for it before the financial independence aspect. Keep persevering, work hard, start small, improve your skills daily, don't give up and never forget the Almighty, with God by your side, you will attain great heights.

CandyCity: How can we contact you?

Jojo's Touch: Makeup school, makeup studio and photo studio.  Located at no 15 ebony hospital road, orazi, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria.

Contact 08039168903 08097973886. Instagram, facebook, twitter ; @jojostouch


More photos below










Instagram:  @jojostouch
facebook: @jojostouch 
twitter: @jojostouch


Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

7 comments:

  1. My mum and i fell in love with her at first sight Joeee as i fondly call her or the bae with the magical touch is just and angel,very caring and accommodating i was her first IYA bride and i must confess it was wow.God continue to increase u my Joeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jojo has always been the best to me. A good friend I'd love to say and a strong lady. Going only one direction which is up! If I were a lady I'd be at jojos every morning especially if I dey find husband lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sincerely admire & appreciate your work,I know someday I would meet with you,keep keeping it real. God bless your hustles ma

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Wordpress Tips