America is to blame for my 8 year ban – Blatter 0

WireAP_20ce33bbdb1145b282f8d9d1a9fd1ba8_16x9_1600 
Sepp Blatter blamed the U.S. for the eight-year ban handed down by FIFA over ethics violations on Monday, an apparent jab a federal investigation that has led to several indictments of officials from the soccer’s international governing body.

“If we had awarded the World Cup in 2022 the USA, we would not be here,” Blatter said in Italian at a meandering nearly one-hour news conference.

Blatter was found guilty of violating FIFA’s ethics rules, allegations that centered around a $2 million payment Blatter approved for Michel Platini, a FIFA vice president and head of Union of European Football Associations. Platini, once the former frontrunner to replace Blatter, also received an 8-year suspension. Both had already received provisional bans.

“I told him that FIFA could not pay him all the money now. We will pay you part it later on,” Blatter said about the payment in 2011 the coincided with Platini’s decision not to challenge Blatter for  president “He asked for the payment later on. The debt existed.”

While Blatter has not been charged, many of his former FIFA colleagues are under federal indictments over alleged bribery in the bidding for prior World Cups.

On-point answers to reporters’ question were rare for Blatter at the news conference held inside a Swiss building that once housed FIFA’s headquarters. Blatter, 79, worked for the organization for four decades and served as its president since 1998.

He dodged the question about awarding the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

Blatter, who sat alongside his daughter, name-dropped Nelson Mandela as he opened the new conference with a 20-minute monologue.

“I regret I am a punching ball and for my organization I have served with my heart and conscience for 41 years,” Blatter said during his opening statement. “Specifically I regret for all the team members working in Fifa.

There was no apology for the alleged improper payment from the defiant Blatter, who has a bandage under his right.

“I am not ashamed,” Blatter said. “I regret, but I am not ashamed. I ashamed.”
Blatter also mentioned he should have quit after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and vowed to fight his ban in the courts.

“First of all I was sad, but now I’m not sad,” Blatter said when asked for his reaction to the punishment. “I am combative.”

There’s no denying that, but many would take issue with his assessment of the current state of FIFA.
“FIFA is still working well,” Blatter said.

Blatter concluded the news conference with a catchphrase made famous by Arnold Schwarzenegger.
“I’ll be back,” Blatter said as he stood up and finally exited.

(Source: USA TODAY)
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Tips