This Man sells 9-yr-old son for N250k

The suspects, Daniel Barnney, Ijeoma Ndoku, Sunkanmi Adamu and Samuel Osavitu

The Festac Police Division of the Lagos State Command, has arrested a Liberian, Daniel Barnney, for allegedly selling his nine-month-old son Emmanuel, to a 43-year-old childless woman, Ekah Richard, for N250,000.

Apart from Barnney, one Pastor Samuel Osavitu and an orphanage staff, Alhaji Sunkanmi Adamu, have also been arrested over the same issue.
It was Barnney’s Nigerian wife, Ijeoma Ndoku, who raised the alarm over the sale of the child and his plans to sneak to Ghana last month, which led to his arrest at the Mile 2 area of the state on February 12, 2016, while the baby was recovered from Richard.
Ndoku had told the police that she and Barnney have been quarrelling because she did not allow him to take the baby to his aunt, who she had never seen before debunking Barnney’s claims of her abandoning the child, accusing him of fleeing with the boy on their way to buy groceries.
The 32-year-old Barnney, who admitted to have received N250,000 from Richard through Adamu, said the money was given to him to start a business.
He denied selling the baby, claiming that his wife abandoned the child. He said since he could not cater for the boy alone, he took him to an orphanage.
“It’s a lie! I didn’t abandon my baby. He said he wanted to hand the baby over to his aunt. I said it was okay since his aunt was now in Nigeria. I said it will give me opportunity to look for a job and support the family because he has not been taking care of us.
For over three months, he has been saying he does not have money to take care of me and my baby but he usually had money to buy drinks and cigarettes. He could not even bring out N150 for me to buy pampers for our baby.
Even when I wanted to take the baby to the hospital, I usually went and borrowed money; other times, our neighbours will give me money to cater for the baby.
He used to get drunk and vomit. When I complained, he would bring out iron rod and hit it on my head. I fell down once, tried to go and open the door, but he dragged me back.
I didn’t know his plan was to sell our baby. I said I wanted to see his aunt. He said if the aunt knows that I am around, she wouldn’t collect the baby. He asked me if I wanted the baby to die, I said no.
I learnt of his plans to sell our baby from his boss. She (the boss), told me that Daniel was planning to sell my son for N150,000. She said that Daniel said after selling the baby, he would leave for Ghana. I didn’t believe her.
The woman said I should come back around 4pm, so that I would hear the story from some of her assistants. I told Daniel’s friend. He doubted the story too, so he followed me.
It was in his presence that the woman told us everything. She said she became curious and concerned after she noticed Daniel was always with the baby. When she asked, Daniel told her that I abandoned the baby and ran away.
She asked for my number, so that she could speak to me, but Daniel refused. That was when she knew Daniel was lying.
I told her that Daniel told me that the baby was with his aunt. She said that was part of the reason she withheld his salary,” Ndoku said.
Richard, who claimed that she adopted the child, said she never knew the adoption process was illegal.  She said she was advised by the pastor to adopt a child so that God can open her womb.
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Tips