Abuja’s first free school... See photo

When you step into a class and see little children enthusiastically looking up to their teacher and reciting what they have been taught, it brings instant smile to your face. However, when you have stayed for barely 30 seconds and feel extremely hot, you feel for the kids chanting their new song with no care in the world.

Even though there is no signpost to publicise Jesus the Greatest King Academy, in a village with no evidence of social amenities, a woman decided to set up this school for the less privileged, with the little she has – her National Certificate of Education (NCE) qualification and the assistance of her husband, using her skills to raise future Nigerians.

Out of her comfort zone in Owerri, Imo State, Chinazom Okoye came to Yimitu, a village at the Kabusa Ward, Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC) to set up a free school for children of the poor, consisting of kids that fled from insurgency in Borno. She literally went around the ward convincing the people of the village to bring their kids to her school.

The school that is making a difference in the village operates from a rented mud house converted to classroom. A sight of the class is that of smile and pity as the cluster of 18 pupils, which includes the woman’s daughter, has no ventilation or electricity. Yet, she pushes on.

Pursuing a dream
According to the prim lady who was only a secretary at the Methodist Church, Okigwe, in Imo State with a salary of N10, 000, Yimitu village came to her in a dream and she decided to come and do what was revealed to her after being flogged in the dream.

“It was last year in a dream that a boy of about 12 years took me to this village. I never knew about it or the name. I saw people gather, a woman was taking the son to school and the other one was crying, the mother was beating the other one, and when I asked why the baby was crying, she said because he wants to go to school too.

As I asked the name of the village, the boy pointed to a signboard, I looked at it, the spelling alone was strange and I couldn’t pronounce it. I woke up and wrote it down even though I didn’t know how to go about actualizing the mandate in the dream because my salary was just N10,000. I said I couldn’t do it and forgot about it.

Reinforcing the dream
Then this year, still in a dream, my father flogged me profusely, before I could try to run away, he called my pastor and told him that I was stubborn; that he asked me to do something and I didn’t do it. I was crying and managed to tell the pastor that he did not ask me to do anything, and I don’t know what he was talking about. He insisted that I knew, so my pastor pleaded on my behalf and asked me to beg him. So, I knelt down to beg him for forgiveness.”

This dream ordeal led to the setting up the school in Yimitu Village when she had not much and in addition got discouragement from people close to her.

“I came back to Abuja and told my husband, he said he doesn’t have any money to assist. So, I begged him to allow me go on with it even though he told me he had no money to support me. I went to my boss and told her that I was leaving, as I cannot continue. My husband told me that if I don’t want any discouragement I should not tell people because they will talk me out of it. Even when I told my friend she laughed and said, this your dream sef.”

I searched for where I wrote ‘Yimitu’ in the 20 leaves notebook, and asked my husband if he knew the place and he said yes, but reinstated that he does not have money, and I told him not to worry that God will make a way.

I came here in July, met a woman who directed me to a landlord who gave me this place for N50, 000 per year after much bargaining. That’s how we paid and started. I had to go round to convince parents to let their children come to the school. I had to learn their language so I can communicate with them and convince them to bring their children.”

Take off
The dreamer woman started the school in July and today has about 18 pupils in her class. She admitted to Abuja Metro that the project is that of sweat and tears but will still continue relentlessly even though she still gets discouraged.

“This morning, my husband told me he is tired because he doesn’t have money anymore, and they demolished where he works. He urged me to find money to continue. I said I couldn’t stop what I started. So, I later told my parents, and they promised to see if they would get something to assist me.

Never going back
Even with her little pet school in a mud house with 18 pupils and no ventilation, the lady has never gone back. Okoye does not charge fees. That is contrary to her dream. So parents pay only N1000 for their children’s school clothing.

“The school is free, it’s the uniform that they pay just N1, 000 to get. That is to assist cushion the burden of funding the project,” she narrated
Teaching in a village where the people can barely understand her language or she theirs with no social amenity, the lady faces massive challenges everyday.

“The challenges are much, the language barrier, finance, facility and their feeding are quite burdensome. Most of the children come to school with what you cannot look at not to imagine eating it. Sometimes I cook and give those who don’t have food. The language barrier is decreasing even though it is not entirely out. Many of the children, for instance, can speak a little English, even if it is pidgin. From their stage now, I know they will speak better with time. Now, when their parents come here and talk, they translate to their parents what I say, which has made other parents send their kids as many of their parents cannot understand a word in another language other than theirs.

Counting gains
With all the challenges, she still assures: “I have achieved a lot in this little while because the children can now recite the English alphabet, states and capitals and some of the basics. I believe if there is enough fund I will do more and do it excellently because these children have to be groomed.”
Not minding how burdensome the challenges have been, Chinazom vows never to back down even though she spends N200 on transportation everyday and sleeps in the class when she does not have money to go back home.

“I live in the Kabusa Village and spend N200 everyday on transport fare to school and back. But on the days I don’t have enough to pick the transport bill, I squat here till the next morning and continue with my teaching. I have my daughter in the school because there is not enough money to send her to another school.”

I believe I am impacting greatly in the lives of these 18 children and more that would come because it is not easy but I am no doubt keeping on. The hope I have is that, he that sent me knows why He sent me.  I can’t do it on my own without God, and I am sure He will accomplish the purpose for which He brought me here,” she coached with enthusiasm.

Bigger dream
The passionate woman intends to build a bigger school to accommodate more kids and teach in better environment.

“Right now I don’t have the fund, but I am making plans already. I have met a man ready to sell a parcel of land to me as renting this place will only suck up the little fund that would be invested in developing and sustaining the dream and project. The owner of the land has accepted to sell at N120, 000. I basically intend to build a bigger school to accommodate all of them.

Speaking to one of the parents, Cletus Dawa, whose son is in the class through an interpreter, he expressed appreciation that his son is attending the school as he has noticed changes in his son. He is sure that God will bless the woman for coming to the community with such kind project.
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Tips